incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: incubator releases need to be under www.a.o/dist/incubator
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:50:39 GMT
On Feb 21, 2007, at 1:08 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> One thing that seems to have been forgotten is that an approved
> release must be in the form of SOURCE CODE and must be placed
> in the associated PMC's public distribution area under
>
>    http://www.apache.org/dist/

The second "must" there in that sentence has been topic of much
debate. I believe the main arguments against it go along the lines of
"are not real apache releases", "we should not bother our mirrors
with this", "goes against infrastructure release policy", etc.

Should we interpret the below

> In turn,
> that gives us a simple URI that can be used to direct government
> inspectors for the export license page
>
>    http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/
>
> The export regulations don't care whether a product is labeled
> as incubating or not.  Therefore, placing incubating releases
> somewhere other than regular releases is self-defeating.  The
> Incubator PMC must ensure that approved releases are published
> in the correct location after being approved, such that the
> release is archived correctly, and the easiest way to do that
> is to follow the same guidelines as all of the other projects.

as "we make US government officials unhappy (to say the least) if we
put releases (for their definition of release) that are or might be
subject to export laws in any location other than www.apache.org/dist/"?

- Leo