incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: BouncyCastle IDEA patent
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:56:20 GMT

On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>> Regarding Bouncy Castle, IIRC they used to include the IDEA
>> algorithm in their distribution and provided a one-off for
>> Geronimo to use to bypass the patent issue.  Not sure if that is
>> an issue or not for Tuscany but just a heads up.

IIUC && RC the resolution to this is that we copied the non-patent-
related bouncycastle code into the geronimo-util module because
bouncycastle declined to produce an unencumbered release.  I'd
suggest that if you don't need the patented code you use the geronimo-
util jar instead.

thanks
david jencks