incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Uniform Project Procedures
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:14:27 GMT
Hey Curt,

On Feb 12, 2007, at 8:15 PM, Curt Arnold wrote:

> The recent discussion on board@apache ("Bylaw paragraph in TLP
> resolution", 2007-02-07), the comments in the "Graduate OFBiz
> Podling" thread (http://www.mail-archive.com/
> general@incubator.apache.org/msg11758.html) and "log4net
> graduation, log4php retirement and Logging Services bylaws" thread
> ( http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/
> msg12442.html) suggest to me that it may be good for the Incubator
> project to oversee a collaboration to produce a Uniform Project
> Procedures that podlings, newly graduated projects and established
> projects could adopt in whole or in part.
>
> The idea is borrowed from Uniform Acts in the US Federal System,
> for background info see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> List_of_Uniform_Acts_%28United_States%29.

I appreciate where the idea comes from, but honestly this kind of
setup sounds a bit "heavyweight" to me -- we're not a government,
this is just some open source hacking :-). To me, some more
lightweight and informal (without a Name In Captial Letters) setup
which is more like a "template" to copy-paste onto your project
website should be enough, without having to understand concepts like
modular procedures, actors, and the like or an XML vocabulary to use
it....

just my two cents,

- Leo