incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: incubator releases need to be under www.a.o/dist/incubator
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 01:56:19 GMT
> The "associated PMC" would be the Incubator, and you might notice that there
> is not an incubator/ directory under those locations.
>
> As I understand it, the primary issue is that there has been a lot of
> emphasis to say that Incubator releases are explicitly NOT official ASF
> releases and are not to be conflated as such.  Were they to be considered
> official, at least at some points in the past, many ASF folks would have
> railed against allowing them at all.  At various points, people went so far
> as to suggest that the Incubator be forked separately from ASF infrastucture
> to create more distance, which would be going too far IMO.  So we have made
> every effort to keep Incubator releases and "real" ASF releases separate.

I still think that's wrong.  The Incubator PMC approved the release
therefore it is official - they have the appropriate disclaimers as
not being the same as other project releases - but from an
infrastructure and legal standpoint, they need to be part of the
'official' releases.  As the Maven-using podlings found out by placing
stuff in people.apache.org, they aren't backed up nor are they
mirrored.  I thought we learned our lesson on this point already!  --
justin