incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: incubator releases need to be under www.a.o/dist/incubator
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:32:25 GMT

On Feb 20, 2007, at 8:56 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On 2/20/07, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>> The "associated PMC" would be the Incubator, and you might notice
>> that there
>> is not an incubator/ directory under those locations.
>>
>> As I understand it, the primary issue is that there has been a lot of
>> emphasis to say that Incubator releases are explicitly NOT
>> official ASF
>> releases and are not to be conflated as such.  Were they to be
>> considered
>> official, at least at some points in the past, many ASF folks
>> would have
>> railed against allowing them at all.  At various points, people
>> went so far
>> as to suggest that the Incubator be forked separately from ASF
>> infrastucture
>> to create more distance, which would be going too far IMO.  So we
>> have made
>> every effort to keep Incubator releases and "real" ASF releases
>> separate.
>
> I still think that's wrong.  The Incubator PMC approved the release
> therefore it is official - they have the appropriate disclaimers as
> not being the same as other project releases - but from an
> infrastructure and legal standpoint, they need to be part of the
> 'official' releases.  As the Maven-using podlings found out by placing
> stuff in people.apache.org, they aren't backed up nor are they
> mirrored.  I thought we learned our lesson on this point already!  --
> justin

The question is whether or not an entity which is not an
official ASF "project" (a podling) can release code that is
an official release. IMO, the answer is NO and that is
why the Incubator is, in fact, the "releasing" entity. So
YES, it is "official" since the Incubator said so.

So at this point the concern is whether they should be
under the sponsoring PMC's dist space or under the
Incubator's (note that podlings expected to graduate to
TLP will need some distribution space)... I would,
however, not feel it prudent that it be placed under
the PMC's dist area, since, at the time of the release,
the PMC did not release it, but the Incubator did.
So, IMO, a /dist/incubator is required. So I agree
with this as well.