incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [vote] mod_wombat ip clearance
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:45:28 GMT
On Feb 15, 2007, at 8:15 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2007, at 1:43 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> for IP clearance, i don't see how the IPMC is able to do anything
>> other than just check the documentation: a pure paper exercise. we
>> have no choice to trust that the PMC has read, understood and
>> followed
>> the instructions.
>>
>> whilst this remains the case, i'm not sure what would be gained by
>> actively voting.
>>
>> if this isn't good enough then a different process is needed
>
> Not to beat a dead horse but if this is the case, then
> what "benefit" does the Incubator provide to the ASF
> in this case?

Well, for example, it sets and maintains the policy and provides an
ASF-central place to rant about exactly stuff like this.

> None. Why have the Incubator involved at
> all if we basically say "Yeah, yeah, if you say so,
> it's fine with us."

Historic reasons and efficiency? You could establish an "IP clearance
committee" but that'd be overhead and doesn't sound like much fun to
me. Since the incubator sorted out a bunch of stuff like this, it
makes it a natural home for this kind of involvement.

> Either the Incubator has this responsibility, or
> it doesn't... IMO, due diligence, at least to me,
> implies a bit more than "well, nobody complained" :)

IMO, the IP clearance is the responsibility of the PMC where the code
ends up. That PMC has to follow a process documented on the
incubator.apache.org website, discuss changes to that process on
general@incubator.apache.org, and commit to a repository that has a
different set of eyeballs watching it, in the end resulting in a
centralized record of big code imports into the ASF repository.

Having a lazy consensus vote is a nice "hey, yo, speak now before I
make a fool out of myself" kind of checkpoint.

The due diligence is done by the PMC importing the code, due
diligence on part of the incubator is merely to help (and, nudge :-))
that PMC be as duely diligent as possible.

> PS: Yes, my POV is opposite from the written guidelines.

You said we need an active vote and I agree.

In this case there was one, here, by HTTPD:

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-
dev&m=116525513728295&w=2

(documented on the IP clearance document) and presumably they'll have
another such vote before doing an actual release.

I don't think its completely opposite, Jim :-)

- Leo