incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: incubator releases need to be under www.a.o/dist/incubator
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 04:05:07 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2007, at 7:11 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Yes - it merits discussion, but what's happened several times with the
>> usual push-pull of the discussion here is that half the podlings race
>> off to the left while half of them are still on the right, and it
>> becomes impossible to manage.
>
> No, what's happened is that the people pointing out the obvious
> are usually shouted down by the people who never bother to edit
> the documentation.

Nobody is shouting AFAICT.  Just asking that if we revise incubator
'incubating releases' policy, the incubator PMC makes that decision
(or has a decision handed down by the board).

>> The only thing that the BIS is typically interested in is not what
>> we ship, but the source code in svn.a.o/repos/asf/incubator/{proj},
>> if I've understood the dialogs so far?
>
> No, they are interested in anything identifiable as a product.

Ok...

> Once identified as a product, the next question is whether said
> product has been "released", since Release == officially given to
> third parties == exported worldwide.

... given the global visibility of svn, that doesn't quite compute,
but ok.

> Therefore, the BIS notices (if needed) must be in place before the
> Incubator votes on a release.  An Incubator release is no different
> from the eyes of the external world (and our legal risk) than any of
> the other ASF releases.  The ASF relies on the ability of the Incubator
> PMC to make the decision of when to release.  How a release is handled
> after that decision is subject to ASF-wide policy.

We also rely on the ability to pull down earlier, dead releases as the
projects improve their compliance with the required elements.  But ok...

And I agree, http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
is horrid.

Bill