incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: incubator releases need to be under www.a.o/dist/incubator
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 03:11:09 GMT
In other words, we agree there is probably an export issue to resolve,
however /dist/incubator/ does not exist for a reason, and it would be
helpful if you ran changes to the incubator past the incubator PMC
before confusing our podlings with contradictory information.

Yes - it merits discussion, but what's happened several times with the
usual push-pull of the discussion here is that half the podlings race
off to the left while half of them are still on the right, and it
becomes impossible to manage.

FWIW, compare incubating releases to tarballs in tlp.a.o/dev/dist/,
not those in www.a.o/dist/tlp/ - yes they are not mirrored and
archived, that's what SVN is for.

The only thing that the BIS is typically interested in is not what
we ship, but the source code in svn.a.o/repos/asf/incubator/{proj},
if I've understood the dialogs so far?

... at least this is how they have been handled.  Part of it is the
oversight and project health (they haven't graduated yet) and half
of it is to slow down the "Apache Foo" announcements following some
code dump.  Once a project proves it can collaboratively develop
it's code base and create releases (not always as trivial to determine
as that would sound) then they need to be evicted from the incubator
to Project status.  Progress, not perfection :)

Bill