incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache XAP 0.3.0
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:45:15 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 2/9/07, Bob Buffone <rbuffone@nexaweb.com> wrote:
>> Incubator,
>>
>> Apache XAP has released version 0.3.0, this is the inaugural release of
>> the project.  With the help of Robert, Cliff and the whole Xapian
>> community we have worked through development, testing, licensing and
>> packaging of the XAP release. I would like to thank everyone for their
>> tremendous help.
>
> comments and notes (suggestions only)
>
> i'm uncomfortable including the names of committers in the NOTICE for
> a couple of reasons. i've been convinced by cliff that really this
> should contain only required information. it's also the concern that
> the apache release process tries to ensure that committers are not
> exposed to undue liability.

You are correct, -1 to the NOTICE file containing this information.
for the reasons above... we require NOTICE to be propogated so it must
be limited to factual legal terms of the distribution.  Plus...

In general, @author tags and attributions are poison to ASF-style
collaboration, they are all about carving out niches in the code.
The ASF-style development is about tearing down niches and promoting
collaboration across an entire code base.  Collaboration and ownership
are generally mutually exclusive.

These are all good alternative suggestions...