incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [discussion] Graduating a subproject
Date Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:27:28 GMT
Martin van den Bemt wrote:
> According to the process defined in
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Exiting+the+Incubator
> the Incubator needs to vote first and nod to the accepting PMC that the project is ready
to leave
> the incubator. Seems to be logical since it is the Incubators decision to say if a project
> successfully incubated.

If you look at http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mod_ftp.html, the
status list implies...

"""
Exit

Things to check for before voting the project out.
Organizational acceptance of responsibility for the project

    * If graduating to an existing PMC, has the PMC voted to accept it?
    * If graduating to a new PMC, has the board voted to accept it?

Incubator sign-off

    * Has the Incubator decided that the project has accomplished all
      of the above tasks?
"""

I'd always read this that the PMC needed to decide it was ready to accept
before incubator boots it out.  But I agree with Yoav, it's probably quite
flexible if this went the other way around.

The reason to approach the existing PMC first, it seems to me, would be to
make sure the graduating project meets the standards and criteria of the
PMC already.  If it does not, the podling could accept the list of issues
that PMC identifies, or the podling could change its focus to become it's
own TLP or a subproject of a different TLP.

But the sanity check of the accepting PMC makes alot of sense before the
incubator PMC is asked if everything's complete to their satisfaction.
We can't graduate a subproject without it's TLP home accepting it.

Bill