incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject IP Clearance and Lazy Consensus
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:09:19 GMT

On Feb 14, 2007, at 6:00 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> This is a lazy-consensus approval vote.
>
> Huh? These types of things should require activing
> voting, not lazy-consensus. Otherwise the Incubator
> is worthless.

I am just quoting from the IP Clearance docs:

Fourth paragraph (if you count the text box as a paragraph), "Note
that only lazy concensus is required."

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

In the case of IP Clearance, another PMC has already voted to accept
the code, and it is supposed to be a crossing of t's and dotting of
i's which is actively managed by a member or officer (per the
template). Presumably we trust a member or officer to not cheat.

Considering the possible legal implications of getting IP wrong, it
may be a good thing to require the formal approval just to force more
eyes to look at things. That said, I hesitate to increase the
incubator workload when the work amounts to covering another PMC's
butt for them :-)

Yours in Waffles,
-Brian