incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [discussion] Graduating a subproject
Date Sun, 11 Feb 2007 23:19:53 GMT

On Feb 11, 2007, at 9:27 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Martin van den Bemt wrote:
>> According to the process defined in
>> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
>> Incubation_Policy.html#Exiting+the+Incubator
>> the Incubator needs to vote first and nod to the accepting PMC
>> that the project is ready to leave
>> the incubator. Seems to be logical since it is the Incubators
>> decision to say if a project
>> successfully incubated.
>
> If you look at http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mod_ftp.html, the
> status list implies...
>
> """
> Exit
>
> Things to check for before voting the project out.
> Organizational acceptance of responsibility for the project
>
>     * If graduating to an existing PMC, has the PMC voted to accept
> it?
>     * If graduating to a new PMC, has the board voted to accept it?
>
> Incubator sign-off
>
>     * Has the Incubator decided that the project has accomplished all
>       of the above tasks?
> """
>
> I'd always read this that the PMC needed to decide it was ready to
> accept
> before incubator boots it out.  But I agree with Yoav, it's
> probably quite
> flexible if this went the other way around.

Well, I think we need to be sure we don't create a catch 22 here. The
incubator depends on the project's future PMC accepting it, and the
future PMC depends on the incubator graduating it.

It makes sense to me that the incubator has the final sign-off, as
written above. The future PMC votes to accept the podling *once the
incubator graduates it*, and this agreement to accept gates the
incubator vote.

It seems it's the other way around for a TLP. I've never see the
board vote to create a new TLP without the incubator signing off.

Craig