incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject [DISCUSS]Incubator podling mvn pom files...
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:08:14 GMT

While looking at the Trinidad stuff, I had some thoughts about requirements
around pom files for Apache stuff and what "requirements" should be imposed.

There are several things in a pom file that could affect how things appear
when someone takes a dependency on an Apache project.   Thus, we need to make
sure these things are correct:

1) organization element:  Somewhere up the heirarchy, we need to have:
    <organization>
        <name>The Apache Software Foundation</name>
        <url>http://www.apache.org/</url>
    </organization>
2) licenses element: Somewhere up the heirarchy, we need to have:
    <licenses>
        <license>
            <name>The Apache Software License, Version 2.0</name>
            <url>http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt</url>
            <distribution>repo</distribution>
        </license>
    </licenses>

NOTE:  Both (1) and (2) can be taken care of by having the org.apache:apache:3
artifact as the parent.    Should that be a requirement?   (Actually, should
there be an incubator parent that lives in the middle?)

3) <name> Element - I think these should start with "Apache PODLING".  The
basic reasoning for this is when someone runs a dependency report or similar,
the name is printed.   We really need to make sure they see the proper Apache
branded name there.   For example (not to pick on anybody in particular, this
is just the first of many examples I found), if I depend on commons-logging,
my report just says:

Logging
Commons Logging is a thin adapter allowing configurable bridging to other,
well known logging systems.

I think we should make sure the proper Apache branding is used.

4) <url> element should be there and point to the proper homepage

5) (optional) <inceptionYear> element filled in.  (remote-resources uses this
for copyright dates)

The Maven team has been working on creating new tools and such that use all of
the above information when it's available.   (one example is the
remote-resources stuff that can create the NOTICE files.   Another example is
a tool that can check the licenses for all dependencies to make sure they all
match a certain list of "accepted" ones.)   That said, there are a LOT of
crappy poms in the repository (*cough*sun jars*cough*) that the tools will
stumble on, but I think we should make sure all that information is there and
correct for our stuff.

Thoughts?

--
J. Daniel Kulp