incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Post Incubation Failure [was; Re: REMINDER: BOARD REPORTS]
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 02:03:34 GMT
On Thursday 15 February 2007 02:07, Hans Granqvist wrote:

> In fact, since I'm reminded of TSIK:  Since it failed ASF
> incubation, I'd like to move its source (perhaps to
> sourceforge, not sure yet). I'd want keep the ASF license
> and all, but I am not sure what the rule is with current
> "org.apache" package names.

AFAIK, you can fork the code "as-is" to whatever you like, but I think that ASF would "strongly
encourage" you to change the package names, especially for non-APIs.

The "org.apache" package names will give the impression that this code is from ASF, which
is not true, as incubating projects are not endorsed by ASF, but requiring incubating projects
to use one package name during incubation and change that after incubation seems like an unreasonable
requirement to me.

I also assume that the number of users are very limited at this point in time, which means
that a change is "managable", and perhaps better for the long term anyway. Please consult
with the "users" and make a balanced judgement.

As for licensing, the copyright headers in the source files should no longer contain "Copyright
Apache Software Foundation", so look up the new format. Also, personally I stick in the "real"
Copyright holder's name in the headers, to reduce doubt. The Apache license was deliberately
made to be easily adoptable by projects outside ASF.

Cheers
Niclas