incubator-general mailing list archives

From Chris Howe <cjhowe76...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Incubating Project Policy
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:06:32 GMT

--- Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2/5/07, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> > On Sunday 04 February 2007 22:42, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > > * donations (whether covered by a CLA, JIRA opt in or a software
> grant)
> >
> > Shouldn't we avoid the word "donation"?? Code is not donated to
> ASF, it is
> > licensed. "Time" is perhaps donated to ASF, but not IP...
>
> I believe people are donating a copyright to the code. A license
> doesn't transfer copyright or make another party the copyright
> holder.
> In the case of these commits, the ASF is becoming a joint copyright
> holder to the work. Since we are a non-profit organization that
> solicits monetary donations, I don't see why we would shy away from
> the word "donate" when we are talking about IP.
>
> In the case of our own commits, as copyright holders, we are donating
> (or contributing) to the ASF a non-exclusive copyright, and then we
> are committing the donation/contribution as an authorized
> representative of the ASF. It's a "two hat" process :)
>
> -Ted.

First off let me say, I'm greatly enjoying this discussion.  My
understanding is the piece of work that is being discussed is the
patch/diff/zip/tar file that is being distributed to the ASF through
CLA, JIRA, Bugzilla and software grant contributions.  Generally, no
one is assigning their copyright of the patch/diff/zip/tar file to the
ASF, they are only granting them license to modify it and include it in
a larger work (amongst other things).  The ASF owns the copyright of
the larger work.

-Chris