incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject January 2007 Incubator Report
Date Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:58:41 GMT
More and more ASF Members continue to join the Incubator PMC to help
shephard projects through the process.  ActiveMQ is the latest of a recent
string of ASF Projects asking to go TLP.  Solr requested graduation to the
Lucene project.  Synapse graduated to the WS project.

Agila has been placed into a dormancy status, with only the retirement of
the mailing lists outstanding
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1056).  AltRMI is also being
placed in a dormant status.  Others are likely to follow.  We may suggest
that other TLPs that have dormant codebases move them to a "dormant/" (or
some such) area of the Incubator, so that people can see the existance of
the code, and it can be revived in-place if a community forms around it.

Incubator monthly reports for January 2007

The following projects are currently late, and will be added if they get
them in early enough today:
 * AltRMI
 * CXF
 * FtpServer
 * Graffito
 * Heraldry
 * Ivy
 * JuiCE
 * Lucene4c
 * Lucene.Net
 * Qpid
 * Roller

=== Felix ===

Felix is an implementation of the OSGi R4 service platform.

Community
 * The community is working toward incubator gradution.
 * Continued organization of the wiki (and generated web site), creating the
subproject documentation section with new documentation on for various
subprojects, including a placeholder for the Felix Commons initiative.
 * Voted Karl Pauls as Release Manager.
 * Community voted on and released Felix 0.8.0-incubator.
 * A Felix-related talk was given at ApacheCon 2006 in Austin, Texas.
 * We have seen an apparent influx of new community members based on some
new faces being active on the mailing list and even a new contributor (Chris
Custine).
 * Emil Ivov announced the 1.0-alpha1 release of SIP Communicator, a
Felix-based multi-protocol instant messenger and SIP software phone.

Software
 * Felix 0.8.0-incubator approved by the Incubator PMC and is available for
download.
 * Felix Commons initiative started in earnest with the goal of creating
bundles out of popular open source libraries, headed by Enrique Rodriguez.
John Conlon submitted several POM files for various libraries and Felix
Meschberger and Tim Moloney have also expressed interest in doing so.
 * Several patches from Felix Meschberger improving the framework's ability
to be used in embedded use cases, particularly issues surrounding framework
shutdown and clean up.
 * Created a new Maven 2 plugin for creating OSGi bundles, which uses the
BND tool from Peter Kriens. This plugin is quite a bit different than the
existing plugin, but the goal is to try to merge the two if possible.
 * Major patch to iPOJO by Clement Escoffier.
 * Initial prototyping of "require bundle" functionality complete in Richard
Hall's sandbox, work has begun to transition to trunk.
 * Patch submitted by Chris Custine to implement bundle manifest header
localization.
 * Patch submitted by Kamen Petroff to allow additional imports to be
specified for the old Maven plugin.
 * Rick Litton worked with the Eclipse community to get their extension
point mechanism working on Felix, this effort will continue as bundle
localization and require-bundle capabilities are added to Felix.

Licensing and other isses
 * Committed latest OSGi Alliance source code, which is the official release
licensed under the Apache license.
 * Committed OSGi Alliance Foundation source code (licensed under the Apache
license), which provides stubs for javax.microedition.io, so that we can
compile everything again.
 * A patch from Felix Meschberger for the URL Handlers service was put on
hold since it was not clear if their were any licensing implications as a
result of its inspiration from Equinox code. The patch/functionality is
targeted to be resolved for the 1.0.0 release.

----

=== Graffito ===

Graffito is a framework for content-based applications, especially in
portlet environments. Graffito entered incubation on September 20, 2004.

Top three items to resolve before graduation:

   1. Build a self-sustaining community
   2. Create an incubating Graffito release
   3. Move the JCR mapping component to the Jackrabbit project

There hasn't been much activity in the Graffito project since the last
report. A discussion on what to do with the project that still hasn't
reached "critical mass" after over two years of incubation is currently
taking place. The perceived complexity of the project is seen by many as a
barrier to start using or contributing to Graffito. Splitting the project
into more manageable component projects was raised as one potential approach
to reviving the codebase and project community.

----

=== NMaven ===

NMaven develops plugins and integration for Maven to make building and using
.NET languages a first-class citizen in Maven.

Incubating since: 2006-11-17

This is the second monthly report for this podling.

Dan Fabulich (listed on original proposal) had his account created and was
added to the committer list.

Healthy discussion taking part about design on the dev@ list.

No new committers to date.

----

=== UIMA ===

UIMA is a component framework for the analysis of unstructured content such
as text, audio and video.

UIMA was accepted for incubation on October 10, 2006

Top 3 things to resolve before graduation:

  1. Complete code transition to Apache, do a release with all IP issues
cleared
  1. Attract diverse, active committers
  1. Do a migration tool to enable migration to the Apache version
UIMA's incubation status file is here:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/uima.html

Some recent activity:

  * The UIMA Sandbox has been populated with some example annotators
  * A person new to the project, Jorn Kottmann, has written an Eclipse
plugin he wants to contribute - we're going through the steps to bring this
into the UIMA Sandbox. He has submitted a software grant, and we're awaiting
it's acknowledgement (as of Wednesday, Jan 10)
  * We expect to do a release next month, and have been working to get all
the little details needed for this completed.

We expect that we will need some assistance in doing our first release, to
verify we're following the rules properly. We will start by using our
mentors, and then ask the incubator PMC to review the proposed release.

----