incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Recordon, David" <drecor...@verisign.com>
Subject RE: Board response to January Report on Heraldry
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:36:44 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:18 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Cc: heraldry-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Board response to January Report on Heraldry

Recordon, David wrote:
> Hi all,
> As Ted mentioned there was a thread started yesterday by Kevin Turner
> (
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-heraldry-dev/200701
> .m
> box/%3c1170119622.5938.41.camel@localhost%3e) about how JanRain really

> is now committed to moving all of their work into the Heraldry
project.
> As to not reproduce everything he said here, I really would encourage
> everyone to go read that message.

No disrespect, David; that's the message that inspired my reaction.  A
couple of small points...

"This time, I think the results were decisive."

1. We - Heraldry Project?  Your Company?  US vs THEM - bad signal.

(I'm not saying you won't have internal dialogs.  Presented this way
continues to highlight the divisions.)

"We are going to abandon darcs and use svn for all Heraldry projects."

2. I was not clear this is ASF svn.

However, there are some patches left in our write queue that we need to
flush.

3. US vs THEM again - and "our" queue.  I'm as happy to "flush" any
project
   who believes code deserves to be "flushed" at the ASF.

"So later this week you'll see a burst of roughly sixty patches from me
in libraries/python/openid/trunk, and some more from Jonathan in
libraries/php."

4. You present these as decided.  Politically correct "I have about NN
patches
   to offer back in lib.../trunk and Jonathan has about NN patches to
commit
   to libraries/php that are lingering in our vendor branch.  They do
..."

"After that, commits should come in at more regular intervals in more
manageable quantities."

5. Presented as decided.  You aren't in a position to say that w.r.t.
other
   committers.  "I'll try to space out my commit activity after that so
it's
   easier to follow, and will give my commits an extra couple of weeks
for
   comments."  Again - it's how you chose to phrase things.

>> There are some other things we'll need to update too -- e.g. our
>> buildbot is currently triggered by the darcs apply hook.

first comment I had no issues with.  Your box, your toys, in most
projects either individuals or companies have resources to offer.  May I
point you to the CIA notifications that svn is willing to generate?

http://cia.navi.cx/

They are sent automatically by our svn - configured by
infrastructure@a.o for the purpose of providing instant notices on
projects' irc.freenode.net channels, but I'm sure it's trivial for you
to use these messages directly.  Ask on i@a.o.

Bill