incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <>
Subject Re: PPMC docs query
Date Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:34:32 GMT
On Jan 26, 2007, at 2:26 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> So to confirm I have this right...
> A PPMC can vote to add a new ASF committer. They don't need a binding
> IPMC vote (ie: no mentors, no pmc@incubator people).  ?

Hmm. Regardless of what that documentation says, I think that's wrong.

   * New account requests are only to be made by PMC chairs
     (or trusted delegates I guess), and CC-ed to private@

   * New account requests should only be made after a CLA is
     recorded, and a PPMC doesn't (always) have access to the CLA

   (this from memory, I haven't read the new account docs for a while).

   * getting 3 binding +1s from people on a formal PMC established by
     the ASF board doesn't seem to be too "heavyweight" for something
     as significant as creating shell/svn/email accounts and handing
     out other committer privileges

I think the vote should be by the PPMC, but there should be enough
PMC members casting a vote to make it "super-duper-binding". That's
what we did with harmony while it was incubating (eg votes on harmony-
private@incubator, mentors always casting votes, too).

- Leo

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: