incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:19:33 GMT

On Dec 21, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2006, at 9:15 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> Could you address the overlap with other ASF projects and podlings
>>> which are in similar technology space?
>>
>> There are none doing Jini at this time.
>>
>>> Why a new and distinct
>>> podling and not joining/helping them?
>>
>> See above :)
>>

> I think that the proposal should at least address that...
> People see "hey another SOA project, architecture for services"

it's a little different.  Jini is an old and I would say "fundamental
technology" for service infrastructure in the java platform, very
different from today's "SOA".

I'll let someone else argue my point, as I have to go christmas
shopping.  If no one does, I'll do it when I get back.

They are fundamentally different (and we always allow competing impls
anyway...)

> and need to know how River is different and unique by
> anticipating the question :)

Yeah.  Well, I have a basic understanding of what Jini is, and I
never confuse the two.   I certainly can understand how someone
unfamiliar with it would be confused.

> Also, one thing that had been discussed is better clarification
> in proposals regarding the Initial List of Committers
> and the Initial List of PPMC Members... To avoid the
> issues that popped up with CXF.

We'll argue it out once/if the podling starts, but I was going to
suggest that we run it in the fashion of Harmony - that we wait until
those that are listed engage and participate, and then give them
commit, and have the mentors build the PPMC in parallel based on
engagement and participation.

geir