incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CXF 2.0-M1 Incubating Release
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 15:10:33 GMT

On Nov 29, 2006, at 11:50 AM, Dan Diephouse wrote:

> The Apache CXF team has cut another candidate release which fixes the
> previous licensing issues. Builds have been published here:
>
> Binaries and Source Distributions:
> http://people.apache.org/~blin/incubator-cxf-2.0-M1/<http://
> people.apache.org/%7Eblin/incubator-cxf-2.0-M1/>
> Maven Repository:
> http://people.apache.org/~blin/incubator-cxf-2.0-M1/repository/org/
> apache/cxf<http://people.apache.org/%7Eblin/incubator-cxf-2.0-M1/
> repository/org/apache/cxf>
> Release notes: http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/Apache
> +CXF+2.0-M1+Incubating+Release+Notes
>

> We ask that you please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache CXF 2.0-M1

Hi Dan,
The NOTICE files in your jar files (e.g. cxf-rt-ws-rm-2.0-incubator-
M1.jar) contain the following:

    Additional copyright notices and license terms applicable are
    present in the licenses directory of this distribution.

Since your jars will be separately downloadable in maven repos and
embedded in other projects, the "licenses" directory will not always
exist. I don't think this is adequate. IMO all license and notice
information needs to reside inside the jars. I also would ask that
the license and notice information be specific for each jar file,
since not all jars may be embedded. However, that's just my
preference. Most projects don't do this...

--kevan