incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:51:52 GMT

On Dec 21, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> it's a little different.  Jini is an old and I would say
> "fundamental technology" for service infrastructure in the java
> platform, very different from today's "SOA".
>
> I'll let someone else argue my point, as I have to go christmas
> shopping.  If no one does, I'll do it when I get back.
>
> They are fundamentally different (and we always allow competing
> impls anyway...)

I know and agree, but when the proposal starts off with:

    "Jini technology is a service oriented architecture that defines
     a programming model which both exploits and extends Java technology
     to enable the construction of secure, distributed systems...."

then it's valid item, I think :)

>> Also, one thing that had been discussed is better clarification
>> in proposals regarding the Initial List of Committers
>> and the Initial List of PPMC Members... To avoid the
>> issues that popped up with CXF.
>
> We'll argue it out once/if the podling starts, but I was going to
> suggest that we run it in the fashion of Harmony - that we wait
> until those that are listed engage and participate, and then give
> them commit, and have the mentors build the PPMC in parallel based
> on engagement and participation.

IIRC, the thinking within the Incubator after all the discussions
was that it needed to be more clear before the podling
started, to ensure everyone was on the same page.