incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Felix 0.8.0 Incubator Release
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:08:26 GMT

On Dec 10, 2006, at 7:57 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 10 Dec 06, at 6:40 PM 10 Dec 06, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> On Dec 10, 2006, at 5:47 AM, Karl Pauls wrote:
>>
>>> We ask that you please vote to approve this release:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Approve the Felix 0.8.0-incubator release.
>>> [ ] -1 Veto the release (please provide specific comments)
>>
>> BTW, this Veto thing is wrong.  I've been meaning to mention it
>> since several podlings have used this template.  It is not possible
>> to veto a release -- all releases are majority votes.  +1 just means
>> yes and -1 means no.
>>

> Really?
>
> I thought that would be considered a technical thing? If you know a
> release is getting pushed out when it shouldn't because it's
> premature that on technical grounds you could say that it doesn't
> meet the requirements of a beta say? Or that it has know flaws and
> shouldn't be released?
>
> I honestly thought it was a technical type decision.

As long as 3 people within the PMC attest to its validity, the
release can go out. AFAIK, only a legal veto can block
a release. In most cases, of course, the community listens
and responds to any -1 votes and tries to address them,
if need be. Ignoring -1's is bad form. But with releases,
-1 aren't vetoes.