incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Competing projects was Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)
Date Sat, 23 Dec 2006 16:59:42 GMT

On Dec 23, 2006, at 11:16 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On 12/23/06, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> I really fail to see how all that is such a big deal.
>> We're talking an additional 2 sentences....
>
> I think it's a concern because the precedent puts the podling on the
> defensive and in the mind set of "oh, if there's a competing project,
> we won't accept you."  The fact that there's a project already here
> that 'competes' is irrelevant to us and I don't want to confuse the
> podlings into thinking that's a criteria when it's certainly not.  --

Ah, I see your point. My PoV is that it's better to nip
any such things in the bud first. This places those
who would complain on the defensive ;)

But competition is a fact of the real world, and
for some podlings its a prime factor *for* its
inclusion. But it should never be a factor
for its rejection.