incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dan Creswell <...@dcrdev.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Incubate new podling, "River" (nee Braintree, nee..., nee Jini)
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2006 22:37:38 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> it's a little different.  Jini is an old and I would say "fundamental
>> technology" for service infrastructure in the java platform, very
>> different from today's "SOA".
>>
>> I'll let someone else argue my point, as I have to go christmas
>> shopping.  If no one does, I'll do it when I get back.
>>
>> They are fundamentally different (and we always allow competing impls
>> anyway...)
>>

> I know and agree, but when the proposal starts off with:
>
>    "Jini technology is a service oriented architecture that defines
>     a programming model which both exploits and extends Java technology
>     to enable the construction of secure, distributed systems...."
>
> then it's valid item, I think :)
>

>From experience of evangelizing Jini I find each person's SOA definition
to be different from another's and I have to argue/discuss on a case by
case basis.

So I kind of agree it's a valid item for discussion but given the above
experience I really am not sure exactly how one provides an
exhaustive/useful explanation to handle this discussion (in it's myriad
of forms) in the proposal.

I guess we could take the SOA reference model from OASIS as our working
definition and work from there?  Even then, I don't know that we can
work around it - a core abstraction of Jini architecture is the service.

Dan.