incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: release voting
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:33:05 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> If an officer believes that a release package should be "vetoed"
> for legal reasons, then they should inform infrastructure to remove
> the release from distribution.

Take that one step further...

s/officer/officer or member/

Any PMC member who discovers a legal violation should take immediate action,
inform the PMC, and inform the board that the situation had existed and how
it has been remedied.

Usually, if a package has an issue, infra will just move it from the web site
over to the creator's home directory.  Likewise with svn, we do an rm, although
if we discover a major IP violation it's sometimes also necessary to remove the
offending code later from the history.  You are a PMC member/committer so there
is nothing standing in your way from correcting the problem.

It's easy enough to restore if the 'issue' wasn't a problem.

I agree with Roy - a package can be taken down by the Chairman, but this is not
a VETO.  If the chair raises a legal issue during a release vote, we trust most
PMC members will simply nod their heads and the vote doesn't pass (we also trust
the RM will do the same and the vote would never be tallied.)