incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE][SECOND ATTEMPT] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 13:31:21 GMT
On 11/27/06, Patrick Linskey <plinskey@bea.com> wrote:
> > release notes are an important form of guerilla advertising for open
> > source projects. the content can be reused for the download page and
> > for announcements. either they are too hard for me to find or aren't
> > included.
>
> FYI, we aren't including any currently, as everything is new -- this is
> the first OpenJPA release. We do plan to have release notes in some form
> or fashion in future releases.

good open source release notes tend to have a different tone from
close source ones

one major aim of the release notes should be to encourage downstream
users (and in particular packagers) that your product is important and
interesting, and to associate critical key words with the project. the
same content should be posted to announcement lists, to grassroots
media such as freshmeat, on news sections on the project website and
to the download page.

- robert