incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject improving the incubator release process [WAS Re: [VOTE] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release]
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:17:53 GMT
On 11/17/06, Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprudhom@apache.org> wrote:
> Robert-
>
> We'll correct these issues asap. Once corrected artifacts are
> uploaded, I assume it will necessary to re-start the vote on the open-
> jpa-dev list before re-starting the vote here. Please correct me if I
> am wrong.

there have been recent discussion around this topic of release process
in the incubator. the process is neither quick nor smooth. IMHO this
is bad for everyone.

IMHO better communicating and tooling is required from the IPMC but
also the long and slow feedback loop needs to be cut.

IMO the IPMC should be responsible for the technical content of the release only

IMO it is unreasonable for the IPMC to review the semantic qualities
of a release. in other words, it is not reasonable for the IPMC to
judge whether the application or library works well enough to be
released, whether all important bugs have been fixed or whether the
mix of features to be included is right. these should be matters for
the community  and the PPMC.

following this line of reasoning, it would not be unreasonable to
allow a re-cut using lazy consensus without another formal release
vote by the PPMC. this would probably significantly reduce the time
between initial PPMC approval and IPMC signoff. it would mean that the
release process would need to change after graduation.

i'd be interested to hear other opinions on this

- robert