incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: clarification on SF license and sandboxes
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2006 13:08:28 GMT
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for your comments. They seem to contradict what Henri is
> saying. Can we continue this discussion until we reach some conclusion?

from a legal perspective:

"5. Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state
otherwise, any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in
the Work by You to the Licensor shall be under the terms and
conditions of this License, without any additional terms or
conditions. Notwithstanding the above, nothing herein shall supersede
or modify the terms of any separate license agreement you may have
executed with Licensor regarding such Contributions."

selecting the 'no' checkbox seems to reasonably explicit to me

however, if copyright cannot be claimed on a patch then this is not
relevant. AIUI US copyright law does not allow copyright to be claimed
on unoriginal works or technical works capable of only one reasonable
and correct solution. some bug fixes fall into this category.

so, it isn't always necessary to gain explicit permission but it's
almost always a good idea.

from an ethically perspective, i think that an effort should be made
to gain active permission whenever the user does not make their
intentions clear.

- robert