incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Eddie O'Neil" <ekon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: improving the incubator release process
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2006 17:34:36 GMT
  I agree that we should instill Best Practice, which (IMHO) means
that podlings should learn a "real" Apache release process including
voting on new bits before graduating into the wild.

  More today than ever, a podling controls the smoothness its release
cycle given improved Incubator documentation and better tooling.  RAT
helped OpenJPA resolve lots of issues before a release was brought
before the IPMC.  There were issues raised that weren't resolved
(headers on the *.rsrc files) and the Sun XSD (sorry I missed that --
thanks for catching it!).

  Tools that enable PPMCs to obtain feedback about their releases are
Good Things, and we should require a RAT report for votes brought to
the IPMC.  For those that haven't used it, RAT is *super* easy to
checkout, build, and run -- great work Robert -- and adds virtually
zero overhead to the release process.  I'm a big fan and it makes my
job as a Mentor much easier.

  So, I agree that we need smoothness in the release process but
should stick to our release guidelines while enabling PPMCs to address
their own structural issues.

My $0.02.
Eddie