incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Including snapshot dependencies from other ASF projects
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:04:57 GMT
Hi,
In my personal opinion, for normal (non-Incubating) projects, if you
can't get a real release from your dependency (that's the ideal goal,
is Jukka pointed out), you have to get at least an SVN tag or a
labelled nightly build.  There has to be a way to get at the
dependency code outside of the dependant package.  I would ask the
dependency to at least create an SVN tag (e.g. MINA_20061116_QPID_0.1)
for this purpose.

For Incubating projects, I'm very hesitant about the above.  The
reason is that we've been paying a lot of attention to podling
releases and validation thereof.  If the dependency podling, MINA in
this case, has never had an ASF-approved release, we're getting into
dicey territory, and I would say, reluctantly, that its binaries
shouldn't be included in another project.

Yoav