incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] incubator voting process
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 23:44:29 GMT
On 11/10/06, Sam Ruby <> wrote:
> If we go the first route, then we should treat this list as an
> announcements list.  Results of votes for releases and graduation are
> posted here, and incubator PMC members will be given 72 hours to raise
> an issue.

I've been advising podlings with three mentors to conduct release
votes on their dev list, but ping the mentors beforehand to make sure
they vote.  Then, having three PMC +1s, they should forward the vote
results from their dev list to this list to allow the rest of the PMC
72 hours to raise any concerns.  If no response, the release goes out
based on the earlier three PMC votes.

If one of the mentors doesn't want to +1 it, that's a problem that
should be discussed in any case.  If a mentor doesn't have time to
review the occasional release of their podling, they probably
shouldn't be a mentor.

I prefer to keep the release vote on the podling's dev list where
their community lives; I also prefer to reduce the noise on this list
for uneventful project-specific release votes.

> If we go the second route, then we need to set the expectation that most
> PMC members participate in most votes.

I don't think this is ever going to happen.  I sure hope no one on the
PMC votes for the release of a product they haven't taken a close look
at (not making technical judgements, but everything else).  And I
really doubt, with the number of podlings that the average PMC member
will have time to do this in most cases

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message