incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Gwyn Evans" <gwyn.ev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: wikis
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 17:25:08 GMT
On 09/11/06, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On 11/6/06, Johnson, Eric <Eric.Johnson@iona.com> wrote:
> > For purely philosophical reasons I think moin-moin is the way to go for
> > a wiki. It is a truly open-source wiki. Confluence is a commercial
> > product....
>
> FWIW, until recently, the Confluence install has been largely
> unmaintained.  MoinMoin is fully supported by infra@.  Confluence is
> supported by one or two folks who don't have it very high on their
> priority list.  So, don't be shocked if Confluence is down for major
> swaths of time - AFAIK, it's also not backed up at all (woo-hoo!).
> We've had some people volunteer recently to help out, but time will
> tell if they actually take care of Confluence or not.  -- justin

Conspiracy or cock-up?  Is this a case of 'not-invented-here', a
objection to the use of non-Apache-licenced software or just a
misunderstanding - it's hard to believe anyone would put in a Wiki
without ensuring it's data is automatically backed up regularly.

Just to pick up on the primary point, where do we find the state of
what's backed up?  Being new to Apache, I suppose we've so far assumed
that they know what they're doing, but in actual fact, I've not
actually /checked/ that they back anything up (svn or wiki)...

On the original subject, CWiki does seem to be partially 'hidden' at
Apache - I've tried to help, in terms of a patch to add it to the list
of services documented at http://www.apache.org/dev/services.html#wiki
(still waiting to be looked at, but it's only been a few weeks so
far).  An issue issue requesting it be added to the monitored list of
services was closed as there's been a generic issue open on the
subject since July, although with no action since then...

Any comments, anyone?

/Gwyn