incubator-general mailing list archives

From Graham Turrell <GTURR...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: publishing standard XML Schema as part of Woden deliverable
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2006 18:50:41 GMT
Hi Robert,

Many thanks for this!
(I've clearly found both quantity and quality ;))

Kind Regards,

Graham.
Graham C Turrell CEng, MBCS
Chartered IT Practitioner

WebSphere ESB Foundation Technologies
DE3F16 / MP 211
IBM Labs
Hursley Park
Winchester, Hampshire
England.  SO21 2JN

Tel +44-(0)1962-815018
email: gturrell@uk.ibm.com

"No army can withstand the force of an idea whose time
has come.". -Victor Hugo

             "robert burrell
             donkin"
             <robertburrelldon                                          To
             kin@gmail.com>            general@incubator.apache.org
                                                                        cc
             05/11/2006 11:01
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: publishing standard XML Schema
             Please respond to         as part of Woden deliverable
             general@incubator
                .apache.org

On 10/31/06, Graham Turrell <GTURRELL@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I originally posted this question to legal-discuss, but thought it would
> be good to widen the circulation to general@incubator to get the benefit
of
> your experience also. All comments/thoughts welcome !

substituting quantity for quality :-)

> I work on the Woden incubator project and have been asked to investigate
> what (legal and/or procedural) issues there might be in including the
> standard WSDL2 schema and XML schema as part of the Woden deliverable.
This
> is in connection with the provision of a URI Resolver in Woden, one use
of
> which is to redirect Schema access to locally stored versions, thus
> allowing offline parsing.
>
> Also, we have a testcase that uses local schema copies (even though the
> woden deliverable itself currently does not contain them). The testcases
> are stored on apache svn server and we need to add this new testcase to
> them. Are there any issues with doing so? I would stress that they that
> they are *not* part of the deliverable.
>
> I include the copyright statements for the files in question:
>
> wsdl20.xsd (wsdl20-extensions.xsd, wsdl20-rpc.xsd and wsdl20-soap.xsd all
> use the same copyright notice).:
>
> <!-->    W3C XML Schema defined in the Web Services Description (WSDL)
>     Version 2.0 specification
>      http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20
>
>    Copyright (c) 2005 World Wide Web Consortium,
>
>    (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, European Research Consortium
for
>    Informatics and Mathematics, Keio University). All Rights Reserved.
This

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231

>    $Id: wsdl20.xsd,v 1.11 2006/05/08 23:52:18 aryman Exp $
> -->

AIUI http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231
(W3C SOFTWARE NOTICE AND LICENSE) is fine (non-reciprical open
source). there's no problem distributing it as part of an apache
release.

note that the NOTICE and LICENSE files would need to be updated with
the notice required by W3C and the license for the files indicated in
the LICENSE (for example
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/examples/LICENSE) respectively.

- robert