incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: improving the incubator release process
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:22:28 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> > We'll correct these issues asap. Once corrected artifacts are
> > uploaded, I assume it will necessary to re-start the vote on the open-
> > jpa-dev list before re-starting the vote here. Please correct me if I
> > am wrong.

> there have been recent discussion around this topic of release process
> in the incubator.

I consider Roy's response to be a correct one.  The vote is on the release
artifacts.  Although we can argue whether or not that is up to each PMC, we
should be instilling what is at least a Best Practice to the incubating
projects.

> the long and slow feedback loop needs to be cut.

If projects would run RAT and provide that report along with the request,
and do so only after satisying RAT, it would go a long way to streamlining
the process.

> IMO the IPMC should be responsible for the technical content of the
release only

That's primarily what we do.

> IMO it is unreasonable for the IPMC to review the semantic qualities
> of a release. in other words, it is not reasonable for the IPMC to
> judge whether the application or library works well enough to be
> released

When have you seen that be a serious talking point in our votes here?

	--- Noel