incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Martin Ritchie" <ritch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Including snapshot dependencies from other ASF projects
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 11:34:18 GMT
The question is more general than working with another ASF project.
The Mina people are great and we are working with them.

Your points are absolutely valid for ASF projects and for other open
source work that has similar release process that we could work
within.

The concern the Qpid project was having is what happens when you are
doing everything that you can but you need to release a version of
your software but cannot get one of your dependencies to release a new
version.

Do you wait for them to release?

Cheers

--
Martin Ritchie
Qpid

> Hi,
>
> On 11/17/06, Cliff Schmidt <cliffschmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Qpid community has been debating whether or not they should
> > include an unreleased snapshot version of MINA within their upcoming
> > Qpid release, and whether they would even be allowed to do so by
> > "Apache rules".
>
> Did you already consider working with the MINA community to have a
> proper release as your dependency? I don't think it should be too hard
> to do, the main issues being:
>
> 1) Technical: Is the code good enough for a release? You already think
> the code is good.
>
> 2) Community: Is there a release manager? If no-one in the MINA
> community is interested, there's no stopping one of you from
> volunteering.
>
> 3) Oversight: Is the PMC ready to approve the release? This should
> really be up to the MINA PMC to decide.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Martin Ritchie