incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] incubator voting process
Date Sat, 11 Nov 2006 03:58:00 GMT
On Nov 10, 2006, at 7:03 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> On 11/10/06, Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@golux.com> wrote:
>>  6. Cayenne:
>>     Mentors:    Jean Anderson, Brian McAllister, Bill Dudney
>>     Started:    March 2006
>>     Incomplete: Nothing
>>     Diverity:   Unknown
>>     Releases:   1
>
> All eight of the Cayenne committers are independent of each other.
> How should we note this on our status page?  Unfortunately, there's
> only one "no" and the rest are all "unknowns" so there's no model to
> work from.

I think this is a factor in the "Diversity" category. This category
tries to represent the independence of committers from each other
(and employers from each other). A sentence that states "All eight of
the Cayenne committers are independent of each other" is a very
powerful affirmation of diversity.

> Should we take the "Collaborative development" questions and make them
> into status items?
>
> One of these questions seems unnecessary: "Are the decision-making
> guidelines published and agreed to by all of the committers?"  To the
> best of my knowledge, there's only one way to do this as an ASF
> project -- discuss decisions on the dev mailing lists and vote, with
> binding votes cast by (P)PMC members.  Maybe it should be rephrased
> along the lines of "Are all committers aware of the ASF
> decision-making guidelines?"

Yeah, I agree that the guidelines for decision-making are documented.
So you are correct to interpret this as you indicate.

To make this more formal, you could patch the guidelines page and see
if others in incubator agree. <shields up/>

Craig