incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Johnson, Eric" <Eric.John...@iona.com>
Subject RE: wikis
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 21:42:08 GMT
I think you should pick the right tools for the right job....

Wiki's are great for doing collaborative stuff and are traditionally
open to the public at large. Of course, you can limit access to the wiki
to just project members if you want to limit who can participate in
content generation. They make it easy to get stuff up on a page. They
provide a quick way for linking pages to gather into a big web.
Confluence does have some additional features for exporting to plain
HTML that makes it attractive as a way to create a Web site.

However, Confluence is still just a wiki tool and not a full Web site
design tool. This does not mean it cannot be used to build a Web site,
but it does mean that you need to accept the limitations.

Wiki tools are also not ideal for writing documentation. They lack
indexing capabilities, can make navigation tricky, do not enforce
content structure, and are not ideal for reuse situations. Again, it can
be used to write documentation and projects have chosen to do so. CXF is
doing it and I think Qpid also plans to do it.

For purely philosophical reasons I think moin-moin is the way to go for
a wiki. It is a truly open-source wiki. Confluence is a commercial
product....