incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Including snapshot dependencies from other ASF projects
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 11:53:38 GMT
Jukka

As a general point, there may be a significant delay in getting a
release with a given patch in it. For example, the Synapse incubator
relies on Axis2. Axis2 is a fairly significant project and they would
be unlikely to be willing or able to create a release with a few minor
patches outside of their planned release cycle. I would not expect
them to either.

So while that is one answer, I don't think it will always apply in every case.

Paul

> Hi,
>
> On 11/17/06, Cliff Schmidt <cliffschmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Qpid community has been debating whether or not they should
> > include an unreleased snapshot version of MINA within their upcoming
> > Qpid release, and whether they would even be allowed to do so by
> > "Apache rules".
>
> Did you already consider working with the MINA community to have a
> proper release as your dependency? I don't think it should be too hard
> to do, the main issues being:
>
> 1) Technical: Is the code good enough for a release? You already think
> the code is good.
>
> 2) Community: Is there a release manager? If no-one in the MINA
> community is interested, there's no stopping one of you from
> volunteering.
>
> 3) Oversight: Is the PMC ready to approve the release? This should
> really be up to the MINA PMC to decide.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Paul Fremantle