incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 01:49:00 GMT
On Nov 16, 2006, at 5:22 PM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>> BTW, why distribute a zip package?  Wouldn't it be more sensible to
>> distribute as a jar?  Just curious.
>
> The zip contains documentation, examples, and the dependency jars
> required to run the examples.

Yes, I know that -- the point was that the jar format, as in

    jar cvf mypackage.jar mypackage

is a general archive format that uses ZIP compression and can be
unpacked by anyone who has installed java.  Is there a reason to
use a separate packaging format that is specific to winzip?

I use gzipped tar for C releases and jar for java releases, but
I have also seen a lot of other java projects that distribute both
a .zip package and a tar.gz package.  I was wondering if you knew why.

....Roy