incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: wikis
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 18:22:00 GMT
On 11/9/06, Igor Vaynberg <igor.vaynberg@gmail.com> wrote:

> this is not a kind of attitude i would expect from a professional
> organization. a big part of joining apache is the desire for a stable and
> maintained infrastructure. we (wicket) came here from sf.net. things used to
> go down there all the time, but they would get fixed - it wasnt a matter of
> a "want" but part of the service they provide. sorry to rant, but its very
> disappointing to see things like these here.

This is a volunteer organization.  Stuff gets fixed when people
volunteer to do so.  If nobody volunteers to do so, it doesn't get
fixed.  There are portions of our infrastructure that is maintained at
a very high level of reliability (email, svn, web pages), and portions
that are less so (the various wikis, for one reason or another).  If
more people with the appropriate skills volunteer to help maintain
those (and recently some more people have volunteered to help with
confluence) then they will get better support than they have in the
past.  If not, then they won't.

This is no different than any other volunteer driven project.  If
someone showed up at Wicket and demanded that their bug in an obscure
part of the system get immediate attention despite the fact that
everyone was busy working on other things I doubt you'd all jump up,
drop what you're doing and go fix their problem, so why are you
surprised when that happens in other places?

-garrett