incubator-general mailing list archives

From "J Aaron Farr" <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Retiring a project [Was: Retiring Agila?]
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 02:47:16 GMT
> So how do we retire a project?
>
> My checklist so far is:
>
> * move Agila to the Retired section of the Incubator site,
> * inform -dev/-user mailing lists (earlier than the rest)
> * ask that the mailing lists be shutdown,
> * update the wiki,
> * update the website,
> * move the JIRA project to a Retired category(?), (what if Bugzilla?)
> * make the SVN read-only,
> * what else?

That's essentially how it worked for Avalon too.  Though in that case,
some of the code was also transferred to Excalibur first.

The only issue I have with "retired" projects is that it's not the
code that is retired, it's the community.  The message we should be
sending is "Hey, we don't have any active committers on this project.
You're still free to use it, but you're on your own.  Anyone who
really wants to revive the project can fork it or drum up support
through the incubator again."

--
  jaaron