incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:43:00 GMT

On Nov 18, 2006, at 9:49 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 11/17/06, Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprudhom@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Nov 16, 2006, at 12:57 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> > -- questions --
>> >
>> > i can't find LICENSE, NOTICE or DISCLAIMER in
>> > openjpa-all-0.9.6-incubating.jar. did you intend to prevent
>> official
>> > distribution through maven repositories?
>>
>> Oops ... we missed putting these in. I've corrected this for the
>> LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt files. However, looking at http://
>> www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-binaries , I don't see any
>> mention of including the DISCLAIMER file ... is there somewhere else
>> that mentions that that file should be included in jars (or other
>> binary artifacts)?
>
> you won't find it since this is not a general requirement for apache
> releases :-)
>
> the IPMC requires a disclaimer text is distributed with each artifact.
> i guessed that since openjpa uses a DISCLAIMER.txt that it would make
> sense to include this. feel free to shoot me down if you already
> include the disclaimer in some other form.

Marc,
Apologies for jumping in so late.

One request for the LICENSE/NOTICE files that you're adding to the
openjpa-all jar file. Rather than including your global LICENSE/
NOTICE files (that contain license/notice information for all
artifacts in your binary release), could you limit the license/notice
information only to the artifacts that are contained with in the
openjpa-all archive? This allows embedding products to be more
precise in their license/notice handling.

For instance, your NOTICE file contains the following:

* OpenJPA is bundled with the binaries from the JPA specification, by
     Sun Microsystems and licensed under the CDDL 1.0. The source
code is
     available at: https://glassfish.dev.java.net/source/browse/
glassfish/

However, this does not apply (I believe) to the artifacts contained
within openjpa-all. So, users of open-jpa may not have this
dependency. Geonimo is embedding openjpa-all, but does not have a
dependency on the Sun JPA specification (we have our own jpa spec API
implementation).

--kevan