incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Luciano Resende" <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ratify Tuscany PPMC vote to release DAS for Java M2 artifacts
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 05:04:28 GMT
Thanks Robert for looking into this, more comments inline...

On 11/6/06, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com > wrote:

> On 11/5/06, Luciano Resende < luckbr1975@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Tuscany PPMC has voted to Release DAS for Java API Implementation as
> > part of the M2 release.
> > In accordance with Incubator release procedures we are asking the
> Incubator
> > PMC to  approve this release.
>
> +0 (a couple of questions which i'd like answering before i can +1)
>
> please fix:
> ------------
>
> md5 sums are not in the correct format. please delete all but the last
> line. (AIUI they are read automatically by some scripts.) this does
> not require a rebuild.

The files should be in the right format now.

questions
> ------------
>
> sample-companyweb-1.0-incubator-M2.war lacks LICENSE and NOTICE files.
> this means that it cannot be distributed as a raw artifact. is the
> intention to ban this artifact from distribution via maven?

LICENSE and NOTICE are available inside the war file at
WEB-INF\classes\META-INF, please let me know if they are in the wrong place.

RAT: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/das/1.0-incubator-M2/samples/testing/tomcat/datasource.xsl

> lacks a license header. is there a reason (for example, is it
> generated) or is it just an oversight?

This was an oversight on my part, I have created a JIRA and a patch was
applied to the trunk.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-900

Would this be enough ?

important (but can be fixed for next release)

> key ID 96324791 used to sign releases is not available from the usual
> public key server networks. please upload to pgp.mit.edu (web
> interface) or use gpg (to upload to any well known pubilc keyserver).

Sure, the key is from kgoodson, that was of great help signing and uploading
the DAS artifacts. I have forwarded this comment to him.

stylistic (best practice)
> ---------------------------
>
> release names can be a form of advertising and can also allow the
> trademark to be used to prevent unauthorised jars being distributed
> with similar names. so, i'd recommend ensuing all releases are
> prefixed with 'apache-tuscany' when tuscany graduates. i have no
> objection to using this naming in the incubator (though some people
> may).
>
> the compressed archives unpack into the current directory. this is a
> real PITA for most users and a bad practice. there are two good
> approaches: either structure the release so that all  duistributions
> unpack into the same directory (with name based on the release) in a
> way that elegantly combines or have each unpack distribution into a
> separate, meaningfully but uniquely named directory.

I'm aware of this, and have submitted a patch to fix this in the trunk, but
unfortunately it is not available in this release.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-886

- robert