incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: wikis
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:31:34 GMT
On Nov 9, 2006, at 7:26 PM, Eelco Hillenius wrote:
>> Allow me to make this clear. <snip/>
>
> Lol. Wow, that's a lot of opinions in one paragraph.

Heh.

> Well, this was
> where the problem was then: we thought confluence was going to be
> supported, but was kind of in the beta phase.

Anyone use gmail? Anyone use it while it was still "beta"? :-)

I hope this thread has sufficiently motivated enough people to
support bloody crazy confluence that it will keep being supported.

> Now that we have that
> clear, I think we better look for an alternative then (either the
> official WIKI, or something outside of the ASF infrastructure).

The one thing you don't want is something outside of the ASF
infrastructure. Really, you don't. Existing SF infrastructure for
historical reasons, sure. Something new, not smart.

What you may want is to keep disagreeing on how useful confluence is,
and arrange enough peer pressure to have atlassian fix the bloody
thing, or be annoyed enough to bloody well fix it yourself, and stamp
your feet until someone lets you, and then be real surprised when
you're thanked for stamping your feet so much and asked to be on the
ASF board (but that's getting ahead of myself, really).

Or maybe not.

More background:
    http://www.jroller.com/page/lsd/20050717#why_we_say_no_to

I still haven't baked that cake. For the record -- I help out a
little bit with jira and confluence maintainance at work, and I think
they suck, too. I'm a grumpy ol' wiki hater these days. People should
be helping make SubWiki the best thing since sliced breads instead of
routinely having this discussion...

*mumbles away behind henri's back*

LSD