incubator-general mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <Apa...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE WITHDRAWN] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:55:46 GMT
James Strachan wrote:
> On 11/21/06, Patrick Linskey <plinskey@bea.com> wrote:
>> What do you do when it comes time to vote? Clearly, you can't be voting
>> on the RC build, as that's not the final build (the final build doesn't
>> include RC in the name, does it?), and it's my understanding that only
>> final bits are voted on.
>
> Have a look at the recent number of RC's we've had to do to get our
> releases in shape...
>
> http://people.apache.org/~chirino/
>
> basically we create a maven repo for each RC but the artifacts inside
> them are all 'the final build'  with no RC in their name - then if the
> vote goes well, the RC is just moved to the right place. That way we
> don't have to do another build after the vote - but folks can still
> compare each RC etc.

($0.002 from me):

I positively don't like this way.

If I download this build, and unpack it and use it, I have _no idea_ at
a later stager whether it was the proper release or a RC. There might
even be several rounds of RCs, in which case the problem is even worse -
and the final flaw for me using and potentially distributing the wrong
version might be hefty.

I think that a proper RC should be voted on, in which case all jars,
MANIFESTs, tarballs, and toplevel unpack dirs should have a _clear_ RC
in their name, and then if the vote goes through, a _direct rebuild_ of
the release with the content of the preferably _sole file_ denoting the
release's name changed from "<blah>-RC" to "<blah>" should be done and
posted on the official places.

IMHO, of course.

Endre.