incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Packaging for distribution - replacement for InstallShield functionality?
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 02:44:55 GMT
I know that Apache projects like to release source code distributions
but some projects also like to include binary (pre-built) distributions
as well.  In pre-Apache versions of UIMA, for instance, we used
Installshield to create one-click (well, maybe 3-click) installers for
Windows and Linux systems.

Is there an Apache favorite, open-source equivalent to Installshield -
something that runs on many platforms, asks the user to accept a license
and specify an install directory, and then unzips and perhaps runs some
kind of post-install script to configure things?

-Marshall