incubator-general mailing list archives

From Upayavira>
Subject Re: wikis
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:05:33 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Gwyn Evans wrote:
>> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>>> Eelco,
>>> Here's the background: The current set of volunteers dealing with
>>> infra always pushed back on a confluence install. *But* a very vocal
>>> group demanded that it be installed and promised to maintain it. But
>>> when the time comes, they are not there. So who is at fault?
>>> All infra folks come from different backgrounds and have different
>>> capabilities and have different amounts of times to spend on
>>> problem(s).
>>> I guess, we should put up a disclaimer in incubator process document
>>> saying "If you bring your project here, you may have to help with ugly
>>> infra stuff" and may be another item in the incubator graduation check
>>> list saying "is anyone from this project helping with infra", if not
>>> give them the boot!
>> Well, the issue is that there doesn't actually appears to be any way
>> in which a new member /can/ help in any significant way, as it appears
>> the existing members are too busy with their existing problems to do
>> reasonably expect them to take on the additional work involved in
>> getting new members up to speed...
> There are many points listed at
> which are ways that committers can help, e.g.
> "Answer questions that other people ask on infra@. This is immensely
> beneficial to the rest of the team, as it allows them space to
> get on with other things."
> i.e. refer people to specific docs at a.o/dev/
> You would be amazed at how many people don't look
> there first.

There's also something that someone like yourself can do - which is pick
someone you know (who visited you at your house recently) who is a
member and does have privs and bug them with lots of good patches. :-)

Regards, Upayavira

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message