incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] incubator voting process
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 23:05:03 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> There seems to be a persistent delusion that
>> general@incubator.apache.or is where incubation happens.
>
> That is perjorative.  Want to start again?

I just spent a considerable amount of time going through
all the podling status pages, and there's a certain..
lack of uniformity about them.  I've attached the results.
The status pages don't really have check-off points for
at least two of the graduation criteria: diversity and
'has released something.'  I inferred release information
where I could easily do so.  Crude, so don't expect too
much of it; just meant to be a high-level skim.

There are some podlings which have been there for years
but haven't checked everything off yet; there are others
which have been there for only a few months and *have* finished
them.  Worse, there are some that have made releases while
the IP issues -- according to the status page -- are still
in doubt.

(On a side note: To be perfectly frank, it makes me cringe
to see this horribly effort-intensive and error-prone process
being used by the ASF.  IMHO, all this stuff should be
regularised and normalised and maintained via Web forms.  If
I don't get shouted down, maybe I'll work on that. ;-)

The result is that I'm not the least bit surprised that
there's so much inclarity about just what the hell is
going on in the incubator.  And that's not pejorative,
Noel, that's an observation of something I consider to
be a serious problem, and that I think we should try
to fix (assuming others think it's a problem as well).
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"