incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject wikis
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:48:53 GMT
There seem to be (at least) 2 wiki systems in use at Apache.

One is based on moin-moin (python), and is for instance, found at
wiki.apache.org/incubator-yoko

Another one is based on confluence's wiki, and is found for instance, at
cwiki.apache.org/geronimo/

The cwiki may have additional capabilities.  For instance, some groups
are using it to do collaborative authoring of documents.  For this, a
permissions / login restriction is needed to insure contributors have
done ICLAs.

See: http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CWIKI/Index

The cwiki's wiki's are autoexported to plain html, whenever edits occur,
so that high-volume serving can be done. This export facility can be
used for a projects "web-site" as well; some projects are using it that
way.  It appears that the Geranimo project started down that path but is
not currently using a wiki for their web-site maintenance (they're using
XDOC / Anakia).

One other thing I've noticed is that with the confluence wiki it's
possible to have comments on each page, and (optionally) show them. This
might be interesting for building up community.  It might also be
available with the moin-moin version.

We're working on setting up the UIMA project, and I'd be interested in
hearing opinions from the community about the pros/cons of the different
approaches (perhaps there even are others in use at Apache?).

-Marshall