incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: How to bring code to Apache?
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 18:14:31 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:

[snip]

> Any thoughts on the below?

[snip]

> the important part is that the code was developed outside of the ASF
> SVN repository and the ASF public mailing lists.

I struggle with what that really means. Code is technically developed in
IDEs on people's machines, not on mailing lists.

If I create a new file for an ASF project it's developed on my machine
and subsequently committed to the project or posted as a patch. So for
sometime the new file was outside the ASF SVN repository and not visible
on a public mailing list.

What really makes something developed "inside" the ASF?
   - intention to contribute to a project?
   - JIRA entry created before the file is created?
   - discussion in mailing list before the file is created?
   - creating the file in a local SVN copy from the ASF SVN?

Dan.